Welcome to ClimateCooled.com!
In January 2011, Verizon Communications, a Fortune 50 global leader in broadband and telecommunications, announced the selection of a site in Laramie WY for its western Mega Data Center site in the United States. The Mega Data Center would focus on Cloud Computing for the expansion of their Verizon Business Solutions. The site included plans for a 990,00 square foot facility on a 180 acre site.
WHY DID VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS SELECT LARAMIE, WYOMING?
- Low Cost Power
- Abundant, Redundant, Reliable Power Sources
- Naturally Cool Ambient Air – Cool/Cold & Dry
- Access to Multiple Long Haul Fiber Routes
- Access to Water
- No Corporate State Tax, No Personal State Income Tax
- Sales Tax Exemptions
- Highly Educated Workforce
- Strong Community Support - City, County, and State
- Access to large reserves of fuel (natural gas and/or diesel) for back-up engines
- Construction Labor Costs
- Local Salary Levels
According to Verizon Site Consultant, Joe Sharkey with TMNG Global, “A sensitivity model was built using the values obtained and variables identified during data collection. The model calculates a total score by combining three (3) weighted category scores – Costs, Network and Geographic.”
- Short and long term costs were taken into consideration. Some of the costs incorporated into the model are power, type and cost of power, water, land, build costs, and potential carbon tax legislation.
- There were 20+ variables utilized in the model to come up with a total Cost Score.
- The total Cost Score was then weighted at 70% for the total Site Selection Score.
- Fiber network variables such as number of diverse paths and total available bandwidth were taken into consideration.
- There were five (5) categories – all individually weighted – utilized in the model to come up with a total Network Score.
- The total Network Score was then weighted at 10% of the total Site Selection Score.
- This is a category of variables such as risk of natural or man-made disaster and terrorism.
- There were three (3) categories – all weighted – utilized in the model to come up with a total Geographic Score.
- The Total Geographic Score was weighted at 20% for the total Site Selection Score.
HOW DID LARAMIE, WYOMING STACK UP?